Embrace the Healthy Lifestyle
So you’re trying to embrace the healthy eating and a fitness lifestyle to your maximum potential, sometimes you find yourself confused and not having much control when someone suggests you ‘eat out’.
Let’s get confident about eating out and making the right lifestyle choices when socialising, so here is some tips and tricks from us to you about our ideas on choosing healthy meals whilst eating out.
- Plan ahead: If you know what restaurant you are going to, look up their menu on-line and work out the lower calorie/cleaner options. This will help you make better decisions and avoid temptation.
- Starter, main, dessert: avoid over eating, try sharing a starter and dessert and try a smaller portion for mains e.g entrée size.
- Beware of high calorie salads: toppings such as bacon, cheese, croutons, nuts, cheesy dressing etc try asking for dressing on the side
- Balanced lifestyle: social life verses day to day. We need to ensure heading into celebrations or festive seasons we can be relaxed and in control of our healthy lifestyle balance.
Takeaway Idea Options
- Salad bar sandwich or wrap: Create your own culinary masterpiece with loads of salads, lean meat and avocado spread, instead of butter, on wholegrain bread.
- Japanese sushi rolls: Choose rolls that contain salmon, fresh tuna, vegies, tofu and avocado. Skip the fried chicken, beef and tempura prawn varieties.
- Fresh rice paper rolls: It’s pretty hard to go wrong with this choice. Fresh vermicelli noodles, salads, fresh herbs and prawns are the mainstay ingredients. They’re so good, you won’t need any dips!
- Subway salads or low-fat 6-inch subs or wraps: Ask for extra salads, lean meats and take the multigrain or honey oat bread option. Avoid the creamy dressings.
Here is a great list of the best and worst takeaway options further to the above paragraph, thanks to the ‘Australian Healthy Food’ site.