Ways To Help Get your 10,000 Steps
Why do we need to do 10,000 steps?
Building up your steps per day is crucial to ensure your body is burning as many calories as it can outside of the gym, also referred to as NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) i.e. the calories burnt whilst not doing specific exercise . These calories can be burnt almost anywhere at anytime. If we keep our NEAT up it is the natural basis for weight loss, as we cannot always be in a gym.
Ways we can help ourselves reach our steps include:
- Go for a walk first thing in the morning
- Clean the house
- Take your dog for a walk after work
- Take the stairs at work instead of the elevator
- Get involved in a team sport or work group sport day
- Mow the lawns or wash your car once a week
- Do the shopping
It is as simple as these everyday activities that allow the body to burn calories at an increased rate as opposed to sitting or lying down.